Assassination Vacation
March 28, 2024, 05:15:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All members must have xFire!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Members Login Register  

IRC to Gather in 6 easy steps

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC to Gather in 6 easy steps  (Read 135 times)
soldatdizzy
Administrator
Admiral

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »

Welcome to the next installment of Dizzy's award-winning 'Soldat for Newbs™' series.  This simple illustrated guide will take you straight through from having just installed mIRC (I'm not going to help you with that part.  Hint: Use your Google) to your first Soldat gather.  Another point of this tutorial is merely to show you how EASY it is to get started and WHY you would want to.

The main reason I wrote this is to get people on for the new tw.gather.  But since I was putting all of the work into it anyways, I thought I might as well use sna.gather as an example, and post it on Soldatforums for a broader audience.  Just replace sna.gather with tw.gather in the example below, or join both!  Also ask Shazman about Whahay and #gwsoldat, which is a smaller and nicer community, from which he hails. 

Oh, and one more thing.  Uh, pay for mIRC obviously, if you can afford to.  But if you can't, don't worry.  Besides pestering you every once in a while, you won't ever be FORCED to pay for it.  If you're ready for the plunge, here we go:

Upon opening IRC for the first time the Options dialog should appear.  Under Category: Connect, fill in the information as shown.  I don't THINK you need to provide a valid email address, I could be wrong there.

Under Category: Connect > Servers, locate Quakenet in the list of IRC Servers.  Pop that folder open and select an appropriate server.  Dizzy lives in the US so Dizzy selects Random US server.  Click OK and the Options dialog will close.

Up in the upper right, thats the Connect/Disconnect button let's all click it.... now.

Joining a channel can be performed either from the menu or as a command /j #sna.gather in this example:

Aight, now that we are in a gather let's just bust out some simple commands.  Here, I do !status (which shows me that there are 3 people waiting for someone to join), !add (which puts me in the queue) and !del (which removes me from the queue.  Other commands may vary from gather to gather but these are pretty standard.

And, there we go.  6 people !added, so the gather starts.  The bot spits out the server info and randomizes the teams, and the 6 of you go and kill each other.

)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:43:49 pm by soldatdizzy » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

'I'd do anything to win.  But I never hurt anyone except to put a **** dogskull on a **** stake' - Gonzo, Blood of Heroes

xfire - todhostetler

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum